Sunday, September 29, 2013

Another Song of the Week time has arrived

Another song that has a lot of personal meaning for me, related to a particular time in my life and one very good friend who helped me survive, Jackson Browne's "That Girl Could Sing":

"She was a friend to me when I needed one
Wasn't for her I don't know what I'd done
She gave me back something that was missing in me
She could of turned out to be almost anyone
Almost anyone--
With the possible exception
Of who I wanted her to be..."

(Video here.)

Turns out you can fall in love with someone for the wrong reasons, and come out on the other side with a friend for life, if you're lucky.

Once again, it's the best song on a very fine album, Hold On, Hold Out"Hold Out" is a fine some  ("Baby I guess you know my story/ Baby I guess you know my side/ It seems I've traded love for glory/ But I'm still not satisfied" is how it opens); as is "Boulevard" ('Nobody rides for free/ Nobody gets it like they want it to be/ Nobody hands you any guarantee/ Nobody").  "Call It A Loan" ("Oh.../can we call it a loan/ And a debt that I owe/ On a bet that I lost ")...and the others.  This is an album about realizing what you've lost, and why you've lost it--why you have lost it, not alibis. 

 A little more from "That Girl Could Sing":

"Stumblin' into the lights of the city
And then back in the shadows again
Hanging onto the laughter
That each of us hid our unhappiness in.."

No comments:

Post a Comment