Monday, November 11, 2013

Time for another song

This one is, in many ways, very personal, beginning with some of the lyrics:
 

In sixty-five I was seventeen and running up 101...
I don't know where I'm running now, I'm just running on...

In sixty-nine I was twenty-one and I called the road my own...
I don't know when that road turned into the road I'm on
  

 Well, in 1965, I was 17...and in 1969, I was 21, in Indiana, not California, but I also didn't know.

Looking out at the road rushing under my wheels,
I don't know how to tell you all just how crazy it is this feels.
I look around for the friends that I used to turn to to pull me through
Looking into their eyes I see they're running too

And there have been times like that as well, when all I could see in my friends' eyes is that they were as lost as I.

Gotta do what you can just to keep your love alive ;
Trying not to confuse it with what you do to survive

Trying to keep my life--the people I care about, loved--separate from the day-to-day has often been a struggle (as, I think, it is for all of us). 

Everyone I know, everywhere I go,
People need some reason to believe...
I don't know about anyone but me

And belief is something that I have trouble with (I once wrote a haiku about belief:
Here's what I believe:
Belief is a luxury
I cannot afford.)
But it would be nice, once in a while, to be able to believe.


"Running on Empty," from the album of the same name, by Jackson Browne.




No comments:

Post a Comment