Saturday, November 2, 2013

This one's performed by Judy Collins

It's hard for me to get my mind around the fact that this album by Judy Collins, Who Knows Where the Time Goes,  was released in 1968.  This is another incredible set of music, beginning with "Hello, Hooray," with two Leonard Cohen songs ("The Story of Isaac" and "Bird on a Wire"), and much more.  But it's the title track (performed live at the link), written by Sandy Denny, a haunting ballad mostly about loss ("...Sad, deserted shore, your fickle friends are leaving...") that stays with me.  Collins sings it beautifully (this is right up there with my favorite things she's done, although her performance of "Send in the Clowns" always gives me chills).  (Lyrics here.)  And it's not entirely about loss, it's about strength, and love, and hope as well...

No comments:

Post a Comment